Wednesday 27 July 2011

A trip to remember

Yesterday I've posted some pics about my trip to Paris - Memories

Today I write the review of my 4 day stay there.

This was not my first time in Paris.  I don't like that much cities (I prefer the villages' peaceful life) but because of one thing or another I had to go there.

This time I knew it was going to be different. First because it was going to be the final stage of the Tour and second because I was going without a car (and I prefer to discover a city by walking).

And it was different. All I can say is that I had a really nice experience.

On Sunday I woke up really early and went to Creteil (14 kms from Paris but with tube connection) to see the start of the final stage. I had time to meet some staff from the Garmin-Cervelo Cycling Team, to take pictures of the Team Buses, the bikes and some riders. The start was crowded but many people were local.

Then just after the start of the race I just had time to grab a baguette and went to Paris. Wow it was crowded! The streets were full of people but I felt all that joy and enthusiasm atmosphere. I had to find a good spot to watch the laps on the Champs-Elysee and the final sprint and I did.

After the finish I went to the Team Buses where I waited for the riders to come. I had the opportunity to see famous riders so close to me like Cancellara and the Shlecks (now I know how many bubbles Andy has got in his face). I even waited for the last one and saw him in front of me - Cadel Evans - the winner of this year's Tour. More or less like this: Stage End

On Saturday and Monday I had time to take pics of the monuments like the Louvre, Eiffel tower, etc. to eat the croissants, the cheese, the baguettes (I'm a bit bored of eating white bread).

This time I felt a bit disappointed of Paris like a city. Because I had time to take the tube and walk in many parts of the city I felt like it continues to have an enormous disparity between the luxurious and the poor life. I see more and more Africans (not a bad thing but just saying it's growing the migration from the former French colonies) and more Chinese tourists.

Most of all it was a well spent mini-holiday. It will certainly be a trip to remember - mainly from Sunday.

Now time to get back to my dissertation work!


0 messages: